Use this interactive tool to help explain to your physician how SBS impacts your life.
Choose your questions
- How often should I see you?
- Will I need to see any other doctors or specialists?
- Is it possible that my SBS will improve over time?
- Will I still have an appetite?
- Will I still have normal bowel movements?
- What long-term effect will not eating have on my remaining bowel?
- Do I have to take any special hygiene precautions while being treated for SBS?
- Will my SBS impact my immune system?
- What symptoms can I expect with SBS?
- Are there particular foods that can improve my SBS symptoms?
- Are there particular foods that can make my SBS symptoms worse?
- Are there activities that can help relieve or reduce my symptoms?
- I often/sometimes lack energy or feel tired - is this normal?
- I have noticed changes in my sleep habits - is this related to SBS?
- I have noticed changes in my urine output - what should we do?
- I have noticed changes in my weight - what should we do?
- I have changed my fluid intake - can we discuss this?
- What are my treatment options for SBS?
- What are the goals of my SBS treatment?
- Do you think I will need further surgery?
- What possible side effects of treatment should I be aware of?
- What factors did you consider in choosing a treatment for me?
- Should I be concerned about taking too much medication, or taking medication too long?
- What should I do if I forget to take my medication?
- Which tests will be part of my overall treatment plan? How often will I need to repeat them?
- Is there any new research about treating SBS?
- I have recently made changes to what I eat/drink - does that affect my treatment?
- Overall, I am not satisfied with my current SBS medication - are there options?
- What effect will parenteral nutrition have on my lifestyle?
- Will I be able to travel and take my treatments with me?
- Will SBS or treatment interfere with my ability to do things like drive?
- Will I be able to return to work in the future?
- Will I be able to complete my studies in the future?
- Will I be able to resume my active lifestyle in the future?
- Can I go on holiday or on a weekend away?
- I have an event away that I'd like to attend - how can I prepare for it?
- How should I describe SBS to my family?
- What patient support groups are you able to recommend?
- Can you recommend any educational resources about SBS?
- Are you able to put me in touch with other SBS patients?
- Are you able to provide any advice or sources of information for my wife / husband / partner / caregiver who will be supporting me?